Sunday, July 25, 2010

Off the Plane

After so much anticipation, I have finally arrived at my destination, Edinburgh. So far, everything has been much simpler than I expected, which in turn has made for a smooth transition. I arrived at the Bed and Breakfast which is a 10 minute walk from Princes Street in a steady rain, something I fully expected. I even expected chilly weather, but when you leave 100+ degree temperatures, even the expectation doesn't live up to the experience. It was 54 degrees when we landed, and I'm pretty sure, three hours later, it hasn't increased any. But I didn't come for the weather, and many back home in the sweltering heat will tell me to shut up and enjoy it, something I plan on doing.

The proprietor here, is a lovely lady who immediately showed me to the dining room and offered me a wonderful breakfast with hot coffee. The other guests of the establishment had already begun to eat, so I sat and sipped coffee, striking up interesting coversation with them--or as interesting as can be had on a couple of hours of sleep and a glazed look in my eyes that did not go unnoticed. I have to admit feeling somewhat in awe, as a group of them had been on a biking holiday, by which I mean the type of bike that lacks a motor and relies solely on muscle power. One gentlemen had biked the Swiss Alps for two weeks before coming here, planning to make his way to London, while two of the women had biked from Inverness to Edinburgh. I suddenly felt lazy coming from the airport in a cab. Does walking all over the city count for anything?

So off I go, headed for my 10 minute walk to Princes Street. Hmmm...I walk, and walk and walk. I stop and ask someone if I'm going the right direction, and I get a smile and a wave, "just keep going, way down..." The ten minutes turns to more like thirty. Finally I see the Edinburgh Castle, but it seems no closer to me then the moon, perched high on a hill with a park separating me from it. Suffice it to say, I was sweating by the time I reached the Royal Mile, which as the name implies, is the mile leading up to the castle.
The climb to the castle was worth it. Even the very long line to get a pass was worth it, if only for the sake of the picture of Bob.
You see, Bob came at the end of the tour (no small thing since the tour takes several hours), and was something of a shock. His people wanted to remember him, so they had him stuffed. Bob, was a dog-Registered Pet of the 1st Battalion. And as all dogs that were part of any of the Scottish Regiments, they were well cared for and well loved. My tour was over, but I learned a lot about how a town contained within the walls of Edinburgh Castle spills over those walls, and becomes a wonderful city full of wonderful people.

I will close this by saying that It is now 10:30PM and finally dark outside. I cannot keep my eyes open any longer, so the pictures will be posted tomorrow--especially the one of Bob that is my favorite.






No comments:

Post a Comment